Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Breathing life into the blog!

So I was gung-ho about the blog and then abandoned it. Bad me. But I didn't really eat much over the summer. HA! Anyhow, here's a quick note.

Since the spring, I have had my family over three times. Not often for most people, but a big production for me. First there was Mother's Day, then my mom's birthday, then my cousin Alison's baby shower.

Here's what we dug into:
Mother's Day
It was so damn long ago and I was a poor photographer that day that I don't remember what I served, except biscuits.
From mother's day


Mom's Birthday
We had a garden theme. I made appetizers and cheating shamelessly by just ordering pizza (but it was by mom's request).
From Mom's Birthday


Alison's Baby Shower
I did a "baby bird" theme and served brunch. De-lish. My aunt made french toast casserole (YUM) and I made spinach quiche, ravioli salad, biscuits, and served fresh fruit and cheese and crackers. The highlight, though, was the baby bird cupcakes. They were silly and delicious; an alternative take on the impossible Martha Stewart design.

From alison's baby shower


What ties these events together is the biscuits. They are such a nice touch. Sure, I bought the supermarket kind that POPS! open and scares the bejesus out of me, but who cares. Someday I'll learn how to make real biscuits. The best part is the honey butter I served with them. I found a few recipes (not that you really need one) and found that you can't simply measure, you have to taste as you go, which can be very dangerous as you can imagine. Basically you let butter sit out until it softens and mixer (with an electric mixer) two parts butter to one part honey, or even as much as half and half - depend on your taste. They really add something cozy to a party, especially when served warm.

From alison's baby shower

No comments: