Sunday, March 9, 2008

Kashi deliciousness

It took me a long time to warm up to Kashi as I am a) not generally a fan of "health" food, b) wary of anything that contains quite so much fiber, and c) afraid that everything with that many whole grains (on a mission) will taste like biting into a sheath of wheat. And sometimes Kashi does taste that way (other times it bloats me from a size 10 to a size 14 and renders whatever pants I wore to work that day completely too small to comfortably make it home without unbuttoning). All that aside, I tried (along with Lauren two weeks ago), Kashi's new pizzas.

*Side note: along with my freakish late-developing shellfish allergy, I also have ridiculously high cholesterol, so I try to do whatever I can to avoid getting dead before I'm 30. Kashi and I are very close friends now.*

Admittedly, when I hear pizza, I think of a nice slice of thin crust with that orangey kind of grease floating up to the top and a couple good shakes of crushed red pepper on top. But pizza is pizza at the end of the day, so I picked up Roasted Garlic Chicken pizza, and Mediterranean Pizza at the Giant and we cooked them over at Lauren's. (Additionally, I housed one yesterday for lunch and dinner.)

They are kind of too big to eat alone, but one isn't really enough to split as a meal. Thinking along the lines of cooking for one, it's probably not a horrible idea to cook it and cut it and immediately hide half of it from yourself (definitely necessary in the case of the Mediterranean) and take it for lunch the next day or dinner the next night. But if you're only having half of the pizza (or a third, as they suggest) you'll need a salad or something. Come to think of it, the Mediterranean would have been delicious with little chicken on top of it, so there you go - add chicken, add protein.

The Mediterranean was my favorite. Roasted veggies, feta cheese, spinach, red onions. The flavors were good, the crust was crunchy and did not taste like cardboard. The Roasted Garlic Chicken (RGC) was also delicious. Ditto on the crust. I'm a big fan of red sauce on pizza, so my one beef with the RGC was no red sauce, but the garlic level was manageable - I wasn't covering my mouth the rest of the day to talk to people. Incredibly delicious, both of them. In fact, at one point, I was alternating bites between both pieces of pizza. And washed down with a Diet Sunkist orange...magnificent.

Overall, the pizzas are a little more expensive than Ellios (duh) but the ingredients are more expensive, and taste is definitely more developed, and I'd buy them full price (but especially on sale).

Rating:
Mediterranean - totally naked. Fantastic pizza.
RGC - down to my undies. It's definitely good.

No comments: